BBV information and education aligns strongly with harm reduction principles that practitioners will already be familiar with.
- Don’t share needles. Dispose of fits safely after use. Don’t use with people you haven’t used with previously
- Rough sex can lead to the transmission of blood. Insist on condoms or dental dams
- Know where to get free condoms and fits from
- Health staff who test clients for HepC/HIV aren’t allowed to disclose the testing or results with anyone other than the client
- Having unprotected sex or sharing fits with someone when you know you are HepC or HIV positive is a criminal offence (and both diseases have genotype markers which makes it possible for scientists to track a disease to its point of origin)
- Prevention is better than treatment