Purpose of poly-drug use:
- heighten the effect from one particular drug
- reduce the effects of withdrawal
- bypass the negative effects of coming down from a substance used earlier
- obtain multiple concurrent drug effects
- The combination of a large dose of benzodiazepines and alcohol or an opiate drug such as heroin or methadone may be fatal.
- When ecstasy is used with alcohol, health risks increase because alcohol impairs thermal regulation and increases dehydration
- The combined use of different stimulants, including energy drinks, can lead to sympathetic hyperactivity that may result in impaired thermal regulation and cardiac functioning.